Here is the vegetable soup recipe recommended by Stanley Burroughs in his original Master Cleanse book. Based on the recommendations of the original book, you can have the broth on Day 2 after your break the cleanse. Then on Day 3 you get to actually eat the veggies in the soup!
My recommendation is to prepare the soup the night before on Day 1 so you have it ready. It will also give you something to look forward to as you celebrate making it through the full 10 day Master Cleanse!
- 4 cups water
- 2 types of beans – ½ cup each (kidney, lentil, pinto beans, etc)
- 1 potato, cut into cubes
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 carrot
- 1 small bunch turnip greens, spinach, mustard greens
- 1 onion diced
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 zuchinni
- ½ cup brown rice
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t oregano
- 1 t curry powder
- 1/8 t cayenne pepper
- Vegetarian soup cube
- Chop all veggies into bit sized pieces
- In a large soup pot, mix water with all remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Cook about 20 minutes until veggies are tender.
- You can change any of the vegetables used in this recipe depending on your personal taste.
If you are the only one eating the soup, you may cut the recipe in half – it makes enough for at least 6 servings. If you do decide to make a smaller portion, keep the amount of water & flavoring the same. Since you are only drinking the broth on the first day, you will want to have plenty of extra.
The Master Cleanse Veggie Soup is a nice easy way to start eating whole foods again. Vegetables are really easy for your system to digest. But still take it easy and don’t eat too much your first time out. I would recommend starting with a 1/2 cup. Wait about 45 minutes and let things settle first. As long as your stomach still feels good, you can always try a little more later.